I read a lot. So, I figured I would share my most recent read list with you.
These are not aspirations. These have been read. I may end up sharing my to-be-read, at some point. The list is in order of oldest to newest. All were good. I’ve footnoted the standouts for various reasons.
- Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (1994)
- Old Man’s War (2005)*
- A Head Full of Ghosts (2015)
- Ghost Story (1979)
- The Terror (2007)
- I’ll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman’s Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer (2018)**
- Howard Stern Comes Again (2019)
- The Last Wish: Introducing the Witcher (1993)***
- Sword of Destiny (1992)
- Something Wicked This Way Comes (1962)****
- Strangers on a Train (1950)
- Disappearance at Devil’s Rock (2016)
- Growing Things and Other Stories (2019)
*I’ve been a fan of John Scalzi’s blog for a bit and this was my first foray into his work. Really, really exciting and interesting science fiction. Loved it.
**One of the creepiest true crime novels I’ve read. I would say that it is unnerving because Michelle McNamara, the author, dies before the books completion. Reading parsed together notes from a deceased writer is spine-tingling.
***Read these books while playing The Witcher video games. I was also very excited by the upcoming TV show. Surprisingly, these novels are first-rate fantasy. I really dig the Witcher mythos. I didn’t think I would, but it is a really cool series. Planning to continue to the actual series of books soon.
****I would imagine that I would get hate if anyone read this blog, but I did not dig Something Wicked. I know we hold Bradbury to this high standard and I think it is deserved. The guy is significant in the literary world. There’s no arguing it. However, I was just not in the head-space for his poetic prose. Maybe I’ve spent too much time in graduate study. I just wanted a genre novel and this did not provide. Probably my own fault.